I am currently doing a whole 30, and I’m loving it.
I enlisted some some of my friends to do it with me, for encouragement and support and it’s been so amazing to have the community in our little Facebook group. (let me know if you want in!)
The gist of a whole 30: for 30 days you eat fruits, veggies, meat, and healthy fats.
You say no to grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, alcohol, anything processed or artificial, and fried foods.
Here's a brief recap of my first 10 days:
Day 1: I totally got this, this is so easy, I’m not sure why I don’t eat like this all the time...
Day 2: this food is delicious, but damn, I’ve been doing a ton of dishes....
Day 4: get out of my way or I will punch you in the face.
Day 7: I am so, so, so, so tired. Did I mention that I’m tired? zzzzzzz....
Day 10: I totally got this. Only 20 more days to go.
If you're thinking about doing this food reset, I HIGHLY recommend doing it with friends who support you. I even got Dave on board for this one, and its making it so much easier.
Some things I am loving about the whole 30 this time around:
1. Holtan is eating SO many good foods and he is LOVING them. We are eating good quality whole foods, and that's what goes on his plate too. It makes my mama heart so happy to know he is getting the nutrients his little body and brain need to grow.
2. I am inspired in the kitchen again! I have been using the Whole 30 cookbook, and it is helping me play around with different spice and flavor combos. I made a ham roast in ACV the other day and it was SO good! I also really enjoyed the orange broccoli stir fry. I need to make a list of the recipes I loved, then put them on my menu rotation, would make meal planning MUCH simpler!
3. Cooking is simpler. Less ingredients, makes it easier to decide what to cook. I don't have to think about making rice or pasta or toast with the meal, we aren't eating that right now. It just seems easier to decide what to eat because the choices are limited (but really endless when you start combining).
4. Key Lime Pie La Croix with fresh squeezed lime. Shoot, lets be serious, anything with lime squeezed in it. I love lime.
5. I’ve been tracking my grocery bills.. and yes, they do seem to be a bit higher (I may blog about this) BUT, We haven’t been wasting money on margaritas, booze, and going out to eat, so I can almost bet we are not spending any more money. And I would rather invest in something that is going to make me healthier and spend a little more.
Have you ever done a Whole 30, food reset, or elimination diet? Did you love it?