2015 was a hell of a year. so much loss.
but so much growth.
i'm a different person than I was in Jan of 2015.
i've had feelings i never even knew existed. i've become more aware. i'm better.
this year, more than any other year i can remember, i'm looking for a fresh start.
i haven't ever been one for "resolutions" but i love the idea of taking the time to reflect on the past, and look forward to what is to come. i am taking stock on the things that mean the most to me and reevaluating what i need to do in my life to make those things front and center.
I really love this (i can't remember where I got it):
So I tried it.....
Just taking the 5 minutes to write these 2 lists (I'm sure I missed things, but that's not the point...) has given me some things to think about as I move forward into the new year.
Here are my observations after making these 2 lists:
- I have a lot of things that I love to do, and that really make me happy. I'm lucky in that way.
- There are things I have to do everyday, or at least weekly, because I'm an adult and I own a business, so there is no way around it (don't they call that adulting?) BUT, I do find I'm more productive when I have done something that makes me happy first. Or better yet, when I can combine work with something that makes me happy (like working side by side with Dave in our office).
- Social media did not make my list of things that make me happy. There are some adjustments that need to be made there. Put down the phone.
- The list of things I do everyday changes drastically from season to season. This time of year, I have more time to do the things I love, I just need to make sure I'm taking advantage of that and doing those things (i.e. less time on my phone, more time petting Lena).
- Gardening, cooking and eating delicious healthy foods is something that makes me happy. BUT going to the grocery store is not really my favorite thing. That tells me that I want to keep working toward producing more and more of my own food right here at home.
- I forgot to write "take care of Lena" as something I do everyday. She has been so good for me. She drags me outside, even when its below freezing, and forces me to get some exercise and fresh air. She's also a great snuggler and my mood shifts after spending a few minutes petting her. I think I'll keep her.
Have you ever made lists like this? Would yours match up? If not, what would you change?