I’ve read a lot of books about how to achieve “happiness” in my life and have come to the conclusion that sometimes instead of focusing on making yourself happy, turning that focus outward, to others, automatically makes you happier. Here are a few suggestions on how to make someone in your life a little happier:
1. Smile. A smile goes a long way. When you’re out and about, smile at people more (even if you don’t want to). You’ll be surprised at how much smiling at someone else will boost your mood too.
2. Give them something. This doesn’t have to cost anything, it could be a compliment, a hug, a kiss, or even a pat on the back. It’s also fun to randomly give someone in your life a small gift out of the blue. When they aren’t expecting something, receiving a gift makes someone feel special and thought about. Some ideas: flowers or produce from your garden, a gently used accessory (scarf, jewelry, etc) that you no longer use but think they might like, or even a card with a heartfelt message.
3. Listen to them. Everyone has a story to share, and most people like to talk about themselves. Instead of trying to spread your story, stop and listen to someone else’s. You may just learn something from them, and trust me, they will be happy that you cared enough to stop and listen.
4. This is along the same lines as give them something, but complimenting someone (sincerely) really makes them happy. “I really like your shirt today,” or “Those earrings make your eyes look great!” Don’t force it, only say it if you really mean it, but if you think something nice about someone, tell them!
5. Do a favor for them. This might be easiest to do for your spouse or close friend. If your husband/wife always takes the garbage out, before they can get to it, take it out without them knowing. Fill up their car with gas, or clean it out for them, put their clothes away, pick up their dirty laundry without expecting anything in return. You can also do favors for strangers such as pay for their cup of coffee or offer to carry their groceries for them. A random act of kindness starts the ripple of good.
What other things do you do to make the people in your life happy?